The Sussex deal is done, the Cambridges's get back to work & Camilla's donation to Australian Bushfires

It was a week which started with the Sandringham Summit crisis meetings and ended with Prince Harry discussing his ‘great sadness’ at how the events had turned out.

At a dinner for Sentebale, a private charity the prince founded in 2006 to help those affected by HIV and Aids, the Duke of Sussex said he felt ‘he had no other option’ but to step back from his role as a senior member of the royal family.

Embed from Getty Images

He reiterated that the ‘UK will always be home’ and that his wife Meghan felt the same way and they had been ‘excited, hopeful and here to serve’ following their 2018 wedding.

Despite winning their freedom to start a new life outside of the UK and the opportunity to earn an income, Harry and Meghan did not get everything they wanted.

They had hoped to ‘continue serving the Queen and the Commonwealth and my military associations’ but in a statement released by the Queen over the weekend, the couple will need to completely step down from official duties on behalf of the Royal family.

They are also paying back the £2.4million of public funds they used to renovate Frogmore Cottage which will remain their British home.

The couple will also no longer be styled HRH and will instead be known as Harry, Duke of Cambridge and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

While they are stepping down from being ‘working royals’ it is important to note, they are not leaving the Royal Family.

Harry remains 6th in line to the British throne.

Just as his cousins, Princess Beatrice and Eugenie, Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall are not full time working royals, but still attend Christmas celebrations, and the occasional Trooping the Colour and Epsom Derby, I do expect to see Harry and Meghan pop up at these events from time to time.

They have also shown they aren’t stepping back from charity work with Meghan completing two private visits last week.

She was photographed visiting the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre in Vancouver, where she spoke to its workers and members about issues women in the local area are facing before visiting feminist climate change group called ‘Justice for Girls’.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge return to work

Embed from Getty Images

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge returned to work on Wednesday showing steadfastness in a time of turmoil.

The couple attended several engagements in Bradford, West Yorkshire.

The Duchess looked chic in a dress from high street retailer Zara which featured an oversized houndstooth print with a belt and neck tie.

Embed from Getty Images

The dress was on sale for 15.99, reduced from 89.99 and what was left sold out in seconds.

When outdoors in chillier conditions she covered up with a Green Alexander McQueen coast.

William and Kate were greeted at City Hall where they met with youths from the area who were recognised for their volunteer work or outstanding contributions to their communities.

Outside they completed a walk-a-bout, greeting delighted fans who’d waited for several hours just before a large downpour of rain.

Here, Kate greeted a 25-year-old man named Josh who has autism.

Josh excitedly told the Duchess that he had sent cards congratulating her after each of her three children were born, and asked her if there would soon be a fourth.

“I don’t think William wants any more,” Kate told him, clearing up any rumours the couple will have another child this year.

They later visited a multi-purpose centre designed to assist vulnerably members of the community- the Khidmat Centre.

There, Kate and Will met local baker Siama Ali who baked a series of cupcakes decorated with Union Jacks and images of the Cambridge family throughout the years.

‘Mary Berry would be impressed’ before being stumped at a picture of himself he though was his daughter Charlotte.

Embed from Getty Images

Camilla’s donation to the catastrophic Australian bushfires

After months of royals from around the world sending messages of goodwill to Australia as it battles catastrophic bushfires, the Duchess of Cornwall has made a significant financial contribution to help.

Camilla made a ‘generous and practical’ cash donation to charity GIVIT, to provide school uniforms and supplies for children due to return to school said founder Juliette Wright.

Embed from Getty Images

The undisclosed amount will also give rural families new fencing materials and equipment to reconnect their water supply with new piping.

The Duchess of Cornwall’s donation is believed to be the first financial contribution to the bushfire relief effort by a member of the royal family.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s